Monday 17 January 2011

HDR Images Part 1 - Get Started

Something I recently decided to get to grips with is HDR imagery. Its a genre I have always admired and wanted to get my hands on.

Over the Christmas period I treated myself to Practical HDR by David Nightingale and spent many an hour on youtube researching. I highly recommend this book as it lays out everything you needs to know in great detail.

If you are looking to try your hand at HDR imaging there are a few points that you really must grasp. Firstly an HDR image is not just created in photoshop or Photomatrix etc, an HDR image starts with the first image you take. You have to consider the exposure of your first image with the frame of mind that you are taking it for High Dynamic Range. If you don't know how to use your Histogram go learn how, you're going to need it! 


Once you know how to expose an image for HDR, you need to find out how to bracket your images for +2,0,+2 exposure. Ensure you have your camera set to AV mode so your depth of field is consistent and that you set your camera ISO to 100. 
Lastly, although hand held shots are possible (image in this article was taken hand held) make sure you use a tripod. Trust me the quality in terms of sharpness will be better and it will reduce your post production issues!



To be continued!

No comments:

Post a Comment