Thursday 10 February 2011

Product photography in 2011, not so boring

There are many types of photographers, some go out at all times of the day or night for that perfect shot, some turn up hours early to a shoot just to get things right. Whilst I have the upmost respect for photographers that do this (including myself who hates mornings!) it is a welcome relief on those cold dark mornings knowing the job I’m going to is going to be in a nice warm office or studio taking product shots.


I personally enjoy a wide range of photography styles from portraits to HDR landscapes and practise as many different techniques as I can in my spare time. Although some photographers may think that product photography is limited and the least creative genre I personally disagree.

Taking a decent image in the right style with the correct amount of selective focus and background blur is not easy for the beginner. However for the more experienced photographer there is the possibility it can become mundane. For me I try to keep things interesting, I suggest different things to clients to not only keep my interest but also keep their imagery fresh and new. A different angle, selective lighting or focus all adds to the appeal of the image. I am not saying go out and by the latest lighting or backdrop, no I am simply saying fresh ideas are the key. Think of it this way, if you were shopping for a product and the picture was the same as every other on the internet, a straight on view with standard lighting would you be more likely to buy this or the product a new bright and fresh image?

We are drawn in to the unusual, to something different so why not try something different? In a world of unstable economics companies need to stay ahead of the game, they need to push boundaries and take some risks to be the next best thing. Staying the same and doing nothing different may cost them a lot more in the long run. Investing in new ideas may be a risky business at the moment but if the risk pays off then it will make riding this financial storm that little bit easier.

Product photography can also be quite lucrative; if a client wants the more basic of shots you can take a high number of images and reap the rewards when your post production time is heavily reduced. Leaving you more time to practise those new techniques you read about.

So the next time you are asked to take some product shots, suggest some new ideas, help businesses stay ahead of their game. If their sales increase from your imagery, so will yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment